Saturday, February 6, 2016

Mature Fashion: Capsule Collection Mania

Greetings, Both Fashionistas and Stylinistas:

As you are aware if you have been reading this blog, I have been posting a lot about different ways to organize a wardrobe that cover all the roles in our lives, is versatile, and that can be easily managed within any budget or time constraints; ; I am also a big fan of the "capsule concept" and of "uniforms".  Unfortunately, I have not had the time to do much web crawling to keep up with the same subjects, and I am very disappointed with much that I see.

Once again, I find that either the author is advocating replacing an entire wardrobe every season or fail to see the disadvantages of most of the illustrated choices. Each of the "capsules" contained trendy fashions for foundation pieces, colors that are so current they will be out of fashion by next season, and dated elements for almost every single piece; there was no "timelessness" about it. Based on the visual screen imagery, most of these garments could not hold up for many repeated wearings without being replaced during the same season!  

The ability to acquire high quality timeless garments that are so versatile they can be worn season after season, if necessary is elemental to describing wardrobe role capsules.  What those garments must be depends entirely upon the role.  How they can be mixed and matched depends upon the wearers personal fashion style and her ability to re-imagine her wardrobe each fashion season.  She will pull in existing accessories and elements and wear garments in ways that give her wardrobe a fresh, new approach.  She will surely wish to add a touch or two of "trend" each season, but that should be all she needs to do.

Of course, a woman can go out every season and create a capsule of mix and match clothing for a single season.  Unfortunately, most of us can only afford one or two replacements for worn garments and add only one or two "fashionable" items.  Most of us cannot afford 20 or 30 new "capsule" items that are going to be suitable for a single fashion season.

Capsules will change with time as we grow older and our body or taste changes. Maintaining a high quality wardrobe takes a bit of financial planning for most of us. I fear that many of the posts I have been reading are simply inducements to buy more clothing rather than assisting the consumer in wardrobe planning.

As I mentioned early on in my postings, this blog is primarily for my own benefit; posting makes me keep in top of the things I need to do to keep me on track to "rockmyage" fashion wise.  I do like sharing, and hope that most of the tips I provide are beneficial to those who are interested.  I receive no financial compensation whatsoever, and have no desire to persuade any reader to live a different lifestyle than they prefer.  I, do, however, wish to engage with those who have the same interests and to whom authentic personal style matters....I hope you are one of them.

................Geneva.................Rockmyages@aol.com



3 comments:

  1. Geneva, Having become quite interested in fashion lately due to weight loss, almost all of what today's so called stylist are calling "capsule" wardrobes have no concept to building around a basic wardrobe. They are simply offering one "complete" look at at time. Which don't get me wrong is great for the woman that has unlimited funds and or no style or fashion vision of her own. But for me I have always loved the "classic/timeless" pieces with a pop of trend here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geneva, Having become quite interested in fashion lately due to weight loss, almost all of what today's so called stylist are calling "capsule" wardrobes have no concept to building around a basic wardrobe. They are simply offering one "complete" look at at time. Which don't get me wrong is great for the woman that has unlimited funds and or no style or fashion vision of her own. But for me I have always loved the "classic/timeless" pieces with a pop of trend here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Tonya; I couldn't have said it better; a "capsule" as defined by most stylists is a core set of clothing around which a woman builds her styling for several seasons, or even years. These items are the investment quality items adaptable to fashion trends, etc. I agree; most of what I seen shown as "capsules" are really "outfits" that can be mixed and matched in very limited ways, if at all. Based on the fashion lines of most of them, they will be dated very soon. They show the latest shoe styles, fashion design fads, and accessory quirks. Almost all the capsules will look dated quite soon. I agree with you that purchasing method is fine if a fashionista wants to spend that much money every season to assure she is in style; the retailers will love her. We can certainly do it a lot cheaper, and usually with garments of a higher quality than that shown in most of these marketing "capsules". It is always wise to check the sponsors of some of the blogs that make those recommendations.

    ReplyDelete