Monday, October 12, 2015

Introduction to the Wardrobe

Hello Stylinistas and Fashionistas;

Have you seen the ad where Jamie Lee Curtis portrays a woman preparing for her day by doing her morning exercise routine, visiting 'wardrobe', then eating her breakfast yogurt?  

I, apparently like Ms. Curtis, have always felt the art of a woman dressing for the day should be viewed as dressing for her stage or screen role. (Even Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage and each must play its part".) I dress at all times (i.e., as much as possible  for the possibility I may unexpectedly encounter someone. I also choose what I am going to wear with the understanding that how I am dressed will affect to some degree the interaction.


After all, we dress for an interview, a first date, meeting in-laws for the first time, etc., etc., always taking note that we want to make a good impression for that event. All too often I think we forget that everywhere and everytime we encounter people. We are making some sort of an impression on people who we teach, depend upon, or have social contact. This impression is important to some degree whether or not we know the person well, or are meeting them for the first time. I wholeheartedly believe that the effect is even greater on the mature woman over forty.

How confident we feel within this role depends a great deal upon how we perceive ourselves, and how we believe others perceive us.  Our appearance is all too often the only clue an observer has as to what we feel about ourselves. Whether this opinion is right or wrong, many psychological studies have revealed that an opinion of us is made in only a few seconds after one meets someone for the first time.  More significantly, an instant negative impression is often difficult to change. (for those interested, read the book "Blink," the Art of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell).


I begin my day in my pajamas.  I always wear either flannel or cotton pajama bottoms with a tee shirt.  I find this sleepwear is comfortable, convenient, practical, and suitable for all temperatures.  It also allows me to look presentable to anyone I meet (garbageman, next door neighbor, etc.) until I get dressed. immediately upon arising I usually slip on a bra and feet thongs, comb my hair, and a cotton cardigan sweater if it is chilly.  This is my "uniform" until I do early chores such as making my bed, caring for my animals, and breakfast preparation.  Only then do I don my wardrobe for my daily "role".

I usually will choose the clothing and accessories I will wear on the next day the night before. This allows me to plan effectively and forestalls any unplanned problem that may occur the next morning.  Of course, these choices are based on my perceived role for the next day and the activities I expect to perform.

In my next post, I will share with you one the tools I have learned to use to make this a very manageable chore.  No matter your age, your style, or your personal "stage", you can Rock your role.
If you are interested in exploring your styling opportunities, you may be interested in viewing "rockmyages.blogspot.com" and/or  "rockmyrunwaay.blogspot.com"...Have a great day, and happy stylinistas......Geneva

  

No comments:

Post a Comment