Thursday, October 22, 2015

Step 3: Planning and Designing the Costumes

Greetings, Stylinistas;

Now begins the fun part; creating the wardrobe and fashioning of the costumes (clothing and accessory articles) you will be wearing for the prevailing fashion season.  By now you should have some idea as to how many ensembles you need for each role in your lifestyle, and of what construction the garments must have.  The variety and number of each depend strictly upon how much time you spend in each role and how many costume changes you prefer. Some people never like to wear the same outfit twice; others want a uniform, something to just grab off the hanger and know it will coordinate with anything else in the closet.  There is no "right" way to choose and your choice can be as varied as your time and budget allow, but you do need to know which you prefer and plan accordingly. 

You must also determine the fashion aesthetic that best represents your taste.  Each season has a variety of fashion stories or points of view designed to project your fashion preferences.  There are basically a dozen different fashion personalities: glamorous, elegant, classic, creative, preppy, sporty, romantic, bohemian, rebel, futuristic, relaxed, and country.  Every stylist has different names, different boundaries, and different combinations for these definitions, but they all cover the same fashion dimensions.  You have only to choose the fashion point(s) of view you wish to project.(if you don't know yours, I will discuss the definitions and clarify in a later post). For now, all you need to do is buy a few fashion magazines, take pictures of store mannequins,  and make a picture file of styling combinations that you like. Analyze those against the garments and accessories you have in your closet, mix and match for inspiration, etc. You are sure to have several combinations in your closet already that will have the same look and feel as the pictures you chose. (If you do not, that is the time to give me a call!).

Continue to combine your clothing in different combinations to determine the looks you like; try something different you haven't worn before. Make notes of what you like,  what you absolutely love, what flatters you, makes you feel good, and projects the image you desire. (You notice I take pictures of the combinations so I can easily recreate the ensemble when it is time to wear it.)  When you have completed this task, it is time to determine what items you may wish to purchase to interpret the look you desire.  Then it is time to go shopping. The space in your closet and your budget are the boundaries of what you can or may wish to purchase.

In my usual manner, I will demonstrate these operations using my own lifestyle roles to illustrate my discussion. For the fall/winter fashion season, I will spend most of my time in at home activities, shopping or running errands.  The "costume" for the majority of this time is represented in the clothing combination represented by the picture in the upper left hand corner. I do not like to wear the same combination more than three or four times in any season.  For this season I will need approximately thirty different combinations (easy care, sturdy, flexible utility) of this uniform that gives me about 90 days of wear.  I will need approximately sixty casual but upscale combinations for my other roles. (sales position, social events, big city shopping and lunch dates, etc.) Of course, you may choose to have more or less combinations.  I enjoy the individuality and creativity in using the garments in new ways each time I wear them, but my lifestyle allows me this opportunity. (Believe me, I have also had to grab the first thing I find in the closet! I understand time constraints).

My favorite points of view tend toward elegant, classic, and creative which you will discover within the blog . (As a result of styling for this blog, I stepped outside my own comfort zone to create some "rocking" ensembles I am dying to wear.  As a result I expect to have a more varied wardrobe this season).  

I performed all the operations mentioned above.  I already have a style book accumulated during the previous season so I knew the looks I wanted to acheive before I did my seasonal "curating the closet".  Upon completion of the task, I realized  I had only styled costumes that represented my personal point of view.  I realized I had to display the remaining fashion divisions for the blog.  As a result I had to purchase the following fashion items: a long duster ($29.00 at Target), a fringed boho handbag,($2.00 at DSW-on sale and a discount) two pair of textured tights, ($15.00) and a floppy Indianna Jones hat ($12.00 at Target) to complete styling my fall/winter wardrobe. 

If the item I need is a fashion fad that I do not expect will outlast the season, I will go to inexpensive shops such as thrift stores, big box stores such as Wal-Mart, Target, etc. If the item is a trend that I expect to last or a classic item that has just come back into popularity, I will consider making a fashion investment and purchase a quality garment that may be a bit pricey. (I usually keep an eye out for these items all year long whether or not they are in style.)  

In the picture in the upper right hand corner, I selected an example of my Blogger and At Home uniforms.  I did not expect to leave the house today, except possibly to do a short errand to the hardware store (I didn't make it).  Last night before bed I checked the weather, selected the garments I would wear, changed my purse, and chose the shoes and jewelry I would wear based on my plans for today.  In the picture below that I am in my salesperson role.  We have recently moved and I knew I would likely have some chores to perform that would require a slightly upscale version of my at home roles (just better jewelry and shoes with a dressier but comfortable heel.Thank you, Munro!)

Along with the minimum cosmetic routine I apply for these roles, I was ready to encounter almost any situation and feel both comfortable and confident in my appearance. 

Dear stylinista, I hope this information or reminders of styling principles keep you feeling confident and aid in "rocking your lifestyle roles".  Remember to view "rockmyrunwaay.blogspot.com"  for many more styling combinations that you might like to try for yourself............................Happy styling.........Geneva

No comments:

Post a Comment