Sunday, May 22, 2016

Mature Fashion: Home Maintenance


Well, we had rain in May! Very unusual at this time of year.  In fact, the weather has been very strange all year! One day brings us very warm weather, the next day it feels like it is still February...some days we have both conditions on the same day!! Of course, these weather conditions mean layers; thin and Springtime appropriate, but layers,

I am spending a lot of time attending to neglected "chores" that have been put off way too long.  To the left is a typical outfit for the type of chores and the accompanying errands I have to run within the day.  Note the layered top and gauzy neck scarf; simple to add or to remove, depending upon the condition.  The same holds true for the footwear.  Today I am going a lot of work that will require me to frequently change my footwear (garden boots, sport slip-ons, and low heeled pumps for the errands)  The only jewelry I wear is a watch that fits close to the wrist and does not get in my way.  Should I get my hair messed up, (almost a sure thing) I will wear my white fedora hat.

Each of the outfits I have on in these pictures represent costumes for these identical roles. I plan the night before what I most likely will need to wear, make sure it is handy, and go about my daily business.  Each of these outfits have a basic top and bottom that is sturdy enough to handle regular household maintenance, in good enough condition to face a public display, and has easy to wear accessories that can be quickly dressed up or dressed down depending upon the required errand or unplanned event.  As you can see, usually only a change of shoes (if necessary), addition of a simple accessory or two, quick flick to neaten hair (although mine is usually messy-it is hard to deal with-lucky the current trend is "messy" hair) .  If it is too messy, I just add a casual hat.  I usually change my handbag the night before; a ritual that allows me to coordinate clothes, keep my purse free of bits and pieces, and to add my coin change to my savings jar. (for those special purchases I plan each season -my white leather boots for F/W 2016)

For "at home" jewelry, I have a small jewelry box on the bathroom counter that contains my simple band ring(s), subtle gold or silver jewelry, and small neck chains, etc., items that are simple to put on and literally go with anything.  These are items I never plan in advance.  If I am doing something special, I plan my jewelry the night before with my other "dress up" outfits for other roles.
Like most of us, I know what these occasions are and the clothing I will wear.  Those outfits to the left are my "home maintenance" (at home) "uniforms.

I almost always plan the impromptu layering; our weather has been so unpredictable I am either taking something off or putting it on!!











No comments:

Post a Comment