Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Mature Fashion: Roles for 2016-17


My Personal role Identification (s) for F/W 2016-2017 are simply those of a retired senior citizen living in a retirement community.  My social activities are limited to weekly exercise classes, craft making such as sewing, jewelry making, limited extended family visits, occasional social engagements such as shopping, casual dining, and limited volunteer work in the community center library.  The remainder of my time is spent performing household chores and maintenance or relaxation activities such as reading, pet grooming, etc.  My wardrobe "costume" needs are literally the same for almost every activity I perform.  My personal challenge is to keep my day to day outfits interesting and flattering, and to avoid falling into the boring styling rut that I find in so many of my contemporaries (you know the one I mean).

Although the vast majority of my clothing needs fall into the utilitarian catagory, I want to feel like I am "rocking my role".  My goal is to create the perfect "fashion forward" wardrobe with just the right amount of clothing and accessories to accomplish this goal. I feel challenged to add interest to my outfits because the same clothing can be appropriate for almost anything that I regularly do.  I also work on my "quick change" elements to rapidly go from mopping a floor to a quick trip to run an errand  or keep an appointment, etc.

This blog has virtually become a journal of the little things that I find consistently work to accomplish this goal.

Many women plan the activities for their day in advance and actually prepare a loose "schedule". i.e., a daily calendar to keep track of the day.  I also make a mental schedule of the items I will need to wear to efficiently and effectively feel confident in the way I look no matter what situation occurs.  Obviously, these items are considered based on the weather and the activity.  In all cases I want to make a selection that is practical and effortless. (I always want to be able to leave the house at a moment's notice).

In the above picture, simply matching the shoes and top at the beginning of the day already give an "easy but ordered" look to the outfit.  I determine if my handbag works for the ensemble, (I do this while dressing; if not, I change it at this time; I do not wait) and determine if I need any accessories.  If my in household chores make it inconvenient to wear them at that time, I set them aside until needed.
(I find the necklaces, bracelets, or rings often get in the way of household chores).  I do the same with shoes.  I do try and choose shoes that are always comfortable (kitten heels are as comfortable to me as most flats and give me a touch of needed height).

I always keep an appropriate hat available, both for sun protection and polish. Although I try to maintain a suitable haircut, my hair is often a challenge and a hat covers a multitude of grooming deficiencies, especially when conditioning my hair.  These simple five minute tasks make instant changes that improve my day to day styling.

You may note the slip on collar necklace with its dangling bow are an instant additon, The dame holds true to the hat and knotted ribbon in the lower picture.  I find these little planning operations make my dressing really "effortless", yet give my everyday "at home" clothing a more stylish and polished look.


No comments:

Post a Comment