Monday, October 3, 2016

Mature Fashion: Sending "Messages"

Heidi Klum is famous for her expression "I now know who you are" when a designer on Project Runway styles an original design on her popular fashion show.  Her meaning is instantly clear; just what a wise woman wants to do whatever her role. Whether planning a Charity event soliciting for funds, volunteering as a docent within your community, re-financing your home, dealing with family members,  applying for aid, you are instantly sending a message to your audience.  In any situation where the outcome is important, a wise woman will remember this important FACT.  Hillary Clinton in a red suit in debate with Donald Trump is NOT AN ACCIDENT. I am willing to bet that her professional advisors have her wardrobe projected to the nnth degree, and stategized based on the results on any previous encounters.  STYLE IS BOTH A TOOL AND WEAPON.  It does not matter if one wants to believe this, it has been proven repeatedly by credible scientific research.  The results are so conclusive that I believe that any man or woman is foolish who ignores the facts.  Attention to appearance and styling is NOT shallow when used appropriately.  Once again, it is a TOOL, not an indulgence.

Trade secret:  when I was nearing my 40's and employed in technical silicon Valley, CA, interviewing for a programming job (almost always considered a young person's venue). I wore the outfit in the upper left hand corner just before I had this picture taken with my family (studio portrait before the days of Selfies!!).  It was a planned outfit that I wore on many planned occasions-youthFUL (not young), strong, relaxed , and expensively casual. 

Certainly this "look" was strictly against the advice of ANY styling book that I saw, had, or read at the time.  I believe the cashmere sweater, the well cut matching red pleated wool skirt accomplished the put together look of the time, and worn with an expensive watch and gold casual coin contributed to my "fitting in" with the culture. Obviously, the red was for powerful credibility.  BTW, I got the job, and two years later another in the same field.  I believe that although my qualification were very good, the impression I made was in part responsible for the result.  This is also the time I discovered that every woman needed to make her own "rules" for what was best for her situation in life.

Yes, we need guidelines, but it is not hard and fast "rules".  It takes time to discover what works for each individual's roles in life.  The point here is I PLANNED a certain look to send a certain subliminal message.  The entire message of "Rock My Role" is that it is important to send the message you want for the task you want to accomplish, whether relaxation, professional employment within a certain audience, and most importantly, the confidence necessary within oneself to accomplish a goal.  Appropriate styling also makes most women feel they have life under control.  I find it makes all of my life much easier and helps me "RockMyAge".

No comments:

Post a Comment