Friday, November 20, 2015

Mature Fashion: Body Shape; the Inverted Triangle

Good Morning, Fashionistas & Stylinistas;


Today we are discussing the body shape of an inverted triangle; a woman who has a larger shoulder area than hips.  This person frequently wears a smaller size on a bottom garment than the size she will wear on the top.  It is considered by many stylists to be very desirable because it usually gives an appearance of power and strength.  It also allows many design details to be attractively displayed on the lower half of the body.  This is the woman who can often wear bright colored pants with attention drawing buttons, zippers, pockets, etc.  She also usually looks great in wide legged pants, especially if she has long legs. If she has short legs, it is usually wise to use monochrome dressing in her footwear. (matching hem, hose, and shoes as much as possible).  


Broad shoulders can be a fashion asset; clothing flows from wide shoulders and can make some pretty dramatic statements.  Once it was a styling no-no to bare large shoulders; today we are more sensible.  Women with wide shoulders bare them all the time and look wonderful.  This season's "cut-outs" are a case in point. If you have wide shoulders that you believe are attractive, flaunt them; that is a part of the unique YOU.

One would think that the goal to achieve ideal proportions, one would want to make hips look as wide as the shoulder area; this works only if one has a smaller and more defined waist.  If a woman has a thick rib cage and waist size that is nearly the same size as shoulders, the woman could succeed in looking wide all over; (I know, that is one of my figure challenges-The only reason balancing the hips with color works in this display is because of the wide stripes and where they fall on this particular garment. In the appellations of fruits, etc., I call myself a "fat carrot") The display demonstrates why it is important to try on garments that may be against the "rules".  I have used color to create balance to my shape.

In general, note: I say in general, this body type would wish to minimize neckline, shoulder and upper body details and bring focus to the lower body. Usually, wearing narrow lapels on jackets, v shaped necklines are flattering because they draw the eye to the center of the body rather than the wide horizontal line of the shoulders. The same logic applies in reverse;  no puffed sleeves or details that broaden the shoulder.  Raglan sleeves usually flatter this body type as it gives the illusion of sloping shoulders. Too much detail on top, especially if worn with high heels can make a woman look "top heavy", and give an illusion she could topple.

Remember, all of the above are guidelines only!!  You must look at your own unique body to see how these details all fit together and how they apply to YOU!!  

One example I can use on my own body (unfortunately, I no longer have the blazer, so I can't show it).  Usually, epaulets are never suggested for the wide shouldered gal. I have a wide shoulder AREA, the actual shoulder caps are unusually small (causing two rotator cuff surgeries).  This distortion makes my medium sized upper arm look larger than it should; I also have a rather thick neck and a broad back.  When I extended my shoulder just a bit with the epaulettes,in the same color as the jacket, I had the illusion of the same wide shoulder, but my upper arms, etc. looked much slimmer.  Of course, the correct shoulder pad works also.  Unfortunately, any blazer I purchase with shoulder pads must be altered because the pads are not positioned correctly for my shoulder caps.  As I continuously state, every body is different and you must identify the "rules" that apply to you, and ignore those that do not.

Inverted triangles, especially tall ones, can really rock the fashion stage.  If you are this style shape, check to make sure you are taking advantage of your trendy fashion options.

Happy Styling.........................Geneva

2 comments:

  1. Hi Geneva,

    I was just wondering if you have any styling tips for picking a dress for an inverted triangle? My mum is very definitely an inverted triangle (a small or extra-small on the bottom) & a 32G on top! She's petite at around 5'2 and never more than 128 lbs, but she has the hardest time finding clothes. Shopping is a complete nightmare for her. I'm getting married this summer & I know she's really nervous about finding something that compliments her body type & suits her age (she's in her 60s). We're having a less formal wedding with the reception at a cottage, but the ceremony will be at a church. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear "LaGourmandine",

      Thanks for your inquiry; I certainly do; if you have read my posts, you know that is also my personal body shape. I am also about the same height and weight (I am actually struggling to reach the 125 mark from my current 130+) I truly understand first hand the complications, however a these solutions usually work.
      Matching separates always work because you can buy one size top and a smaller size bottom IF you can find two materials and patterns that work together in a dressy enough material. Another solution is a dress that fits on the top but is not fitted on the bottom. If you look at my "Rockmyrunwaay.blogspot.com" in the holiday collection, you will find the dress I almost always wear to a "dress up" wedding (not too formal). It is slightly narrower at the hemline than the shoulder and looks great on. These columnar dress shapes work well for our body types because it is easy to have the side seams taken in at the lower edge to streamline the dress while skimming the waistline, etc. I would love to see a picture when you make the purchase; This problem is so common with us mature women over 40.

      Another advantage of this silhouette is the variety of sleeves. There are a lot of sleeveless dresses in vogue this season; if your mom has great tone in the upper arms, she may choose to wear one of them. If (like mine) she carries more weight in the upper arms, she might choose a three-quarter or wrist length sleeve in an illusion or lace pattern that would make a great look for a summer wedding.

      Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me; have a wonderful wsdding; I really would like a snapshop!!

      Delete