Sunday, November 1, 2015

Mature Fashion: Skincare & Sunlight

First steps: rinse face, apply brows,
lip color, comb hair, mascara, etc.
Good Day, Stylinistas:

I have been asked why I did not mention sunscreen when I posted the basic "musts" for skin preparation for the day.  I did not include application of sunscreen because there is still a lot of controversy as to problems with side effects of their use. 


There is no doubt based on all literature or research I could find that sunscreens of all kind reduce the risks of skin cancers when used regularly and as directed.  Where controversy lies is in the side effects; many of us break out when using most sunscreens, other research shows other negative effects, some which arguably can also cause cancer. Consult your dermatologist or other health professional for a better explanation. 

I also hesitated to add the application of sun screen to a the basic program (which includes no cosmetics on the skin except lipstick and eyebrow pencil) because if one does choose to a sunscreen, it would be in another styling step. The key to this basic routine is a bare bones approach that all stylinistas can and have time to do upon arising in the mornings. One overlooked procedure when using sunscreen is the necessity to re-apply every two hours.  Most people apply the sunscreen and forget about it for the rest of the day unless they happen to be swimming or at the beach.  

Additionally, I always recommend the wearing of a sun hat and sunglasses when going into the sun.  I am more conscious of applying sunscreen to hands and arms and neck when I venture out. For the purposes of styling application, I recommend applying the sunscreen, if any, just before applying a base or primer.  There are many good websites that can assist in these steps.

 I have been using Faces by Coppertone, but occasionally, I still have some problems with skin irritations.  I am going to try a product , also called Faces (I think) by Nutrogena.  I have been hearing some good things about it, but, as I always say, each person's experience can be different, and experimentation is necessary to find the best for you. I have found, for me, that try, try, again is the best route for eventual sucess!!

Happy Styling!...........Geneva




No comments:

Post a Comment