Monday, November 30, 2015

Mature Fashion: Fall color Combinations

Season's Greetings, Fashionistas and Stylinistas;


On September 19th, I posted one of my first "runwaays" to Rockmyages.blogspot.com describing my style book combinations I had put together along with a few photos.  The photo on the left shows one of the combinations I had created back then. One of the fashion themes of this winter is unusual combinations of color as you have undoubtedly seen by now.

I am mentioning this for two reasons; 1) demonstrating why a style book works for me and 2) explaining in greater detail the look itself.

It took me less than ten minutes to get dressed this morning.  It was just one of those mornings when I really didn't know what to wear, or feel like anything special, but I knew I was going into San Jose, etc.  I grabbed the style book I created last summer (after the February 2015 Fall Fashion Week runway shows) and based on the weather, chose the outfit in this picture. Because I had already identified what worked for me,  what accessories I wanted to use, etc. I only needed to grab them from the closet, change my purse, grab the most appropriate jewelry (already identified) and shoes (also identified.)  I chose my coat based on the weather.  I did not have to second guess myself on anything because it was all thought out in advance.

I do want to explain in more detail the look.  No, I would not usually have chosen to wear a red cable sweater with a lemon yellow blouse collar peeking out of the neck of a sweater; it is a fashion statement that updates the look of the traditional black pant, colored sweater, black coat uniform that is tired and old looking at best.  I had all the elements of the look in my closet, but using this "fad" fashion touch, mixing colors suited to my coloring and body type made a look that was much more modern and not unattractive. (No matter what the fashion, I will not wear anything that I do not think looks good on me.)

 I also chose faux leather pants and ankle boots and good jewelry to complete a fashion forward look without looking like a teenager. The intent was not to suggest that anyone else should wear this combination, but to stimulate the imagination of my readers to look in their closets for mixes of unusual color mixes they might like.  This type of logic will run throughout this blog; examining items you already own that just re-imagined will expand your closet and update a fashion look at no cost to you.  One other advantage, you rarely have to be concerned with "mutton dressed as lamb" because you are using items you already own. They are all made up of classic pieces with just an added touch or two to make them stylish today.

I also wanted to stress that this type of update is a wonderful way to wear clothes that may be a bit out of the current fashion. You can view the combinations I posted on September 19th at "rockmyages.blogspot.com ".

It is drizzling outside so I will be wearing a black quilted jacket and a black imitation leather rain hat, black leather gloves and black hobo style handbag. Check out "rockmyfitness.blogspot.com" for ways to help relieve some of the season's stress levels.

Happy Styling...............Geneva......Rockmyages@aol.com  

2 comments:

  1. More great tips!!! I will be looking in my closet again and re-thinking some outfits and accessories..... Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ali; Thanks for your input; I would love to hear about some of the outfits you came up with. I assume you were talking about unusual color combinations. Colorful combinations, especially colorful prints are expected to be the rage throughout the spring and summer, too.

    ReplyDelete