Monday, January 25, 2016

Mature Fashion: The Art of Successful Thrifting

Leather cap and studded "grunge" shirt from thrift shops
Hello Stylinistas;

Our last post concerned wardrobe acquisition of clothing suitable  to our lifestyle roles;  today's post is dedicated to that second step, thrift shops. (the first is shopping your own closet).  I have ignored garage sales because there are very few in my area at all, but most of the same rules could apply to those of thrift stores.

The art of successful thrifting was introduced to me by a friend of over 30 years.  I did not know until about eight years ago that she has a black belt in shopping garage sales, thrift stores, antique shops, and consignment boutiques!! In these last  eight or so years that she has been my advisor I have accumulated a wardrobe filled with high quality material in haute couture designer clothing.  To this day, she is still my favored shopping partner when I want to make certain I am not "buying a pig in a poke" and stay within my shopping budget.  I am passing on to you what I have learned from her, and a few grains that I have learned on my own.

The first lesson I have learned is to dress appropriately. Our favored shopping uniform is a comfortable pair of shoes worn with both socks and nylons, a tightly fitting top and rather skin tight pants, and no jewelry. We do this because there is almost always too few dressing rooms (with tight tops and pants, you can slip the garment over your clothing to determine the fit, or at least know if you need to wait for a dressing room).  We wear nylons and socks to try on with all types of shoes and no jewelry for fear of losing it. (early on I unfastened a bracelet while attempting to try on a sweater, before I could retrieve it from just under the dressing room door, it disappeared-I also lost a pair of gold earrings unbeknownst to me until I left the store).

We also save our items to be donated in our car .  Many shops give you a discount if you contribute to the store. (Savers, etc.) Of course, we take advantage of special sales when possible.  We do not, however, shop regularly on senior day or certain sales. We prefer to go as late as possible the day before senior day or the sale because we prefer the selection of merchandise rather than the rather small discount of senior day. (the selection of merchandise is greater because many seniors do wait until senior day, and inventory is at its highest the day before).  Certain sales are 50% off and on these days we make sure we shop early in the day to avoid the crowds, etc.

One of the reasons you can often find a treasure at a thrift shop is simple ignorance of things a more mature woman knows; I bought a silver buckled Michael Kors belt at a thrift shop for three dollars because of black marks on the buckle.  Obviously, the donor did not realize the belt would be as good as new with just a touch of silver polish; I have had the same experience with a Ralph Lauren purse($8.00) and a Brighton purse ($15.00 different metal but the principle is the same.) Designer garments that need very minor repairs can often be remedied for a few dollars or simply hand-washing or other home remedies.  (I found a very good cashmere sweater of the highest quality with a tea stain on front; I used walnut dye and still have a gorgeous golden brown sweater I have had about five years (I love my little treasures).  

I have found a Hermes scarf (real, not a knock-off), Christian Dior, Diane Von Furstenberg knit dress, Ungaro sweater, Escada pants, Armani jeans, Laurel Burch "birds eye" silk scarf, St. John knits, Burberry sweaters, etc. etc.,etc., all that work with everyday purchases I make to my core capsules and fashion season closet capsules, all for a fraction of what I used to spend on clothing and accessories.  You, do, however need to remember that many of the knock-off or designer replicas end up in thrift stores.  A lttle research and product knowledge can help you avoid disappointment.  My friend and I regularly window shop the high end women's departments in Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Barney's, Saks, and designer boutiques to become familiar with "the real thing". (once in a very great while, we actually buy something there, but very seldom because the thrill of the hunt exists in finding the item for much, much less at consignment or thrift stores). We  also find regularly the ready to wear pieces found in all major department stores Of course, I also find some wonderful hand made unique garments that I can mix with my Wal-Mart or Tar-jay (Target) little tees and inexpensive trendy new items that I cannot find in the thrift shops.

A wise woman does need to keep a sharp eye on the merchandise she does select in a thrift store. ( We will discuss consignment stores later).  One of my early mistakes was not checking the garment over very carefully.  As my gal pal pointed out you cannot exchange as readily, if at all.(many require an exchange only at the store where purchased)  Usually, there is no refund at all, exchange only, if that option is offered at all. Many times defects are somewhat hidden and the stores are dimly lighted (?) so detection is sometimes difficult. It is also important to remember that the merchandise was donated for a reason; I have made several mistakes on buying shoes; the inside of shoes are often man made materials that break down over time.  Shoes that have barely been worn, if at all, may still be unwearable because that breakdown of material will be all over your stockings and feet when worn. It is wise to examine the shoe carefully and walk around the store in the shoe before purchasing it. (I always sanitize the inside of the shoe after purchase and wash the socks or nylons before wearing another shoe (another reason for wearing both nylons and socks when shopping); sometimes we keep more than one pair of each on hand to prevent transfer of any potential health concerns).  Maybe that is overkill, but better safe than sorry.  As my friend always reminds me, thrift shopping by definition is buyer beware.

A "bargainista" must also know her merchandise; often the price quoted for certain garments is more expensive than purchasing a same quality garment new at bargain retail stores.  For example, I regularly view Target and Walmart tees, etc., for more than I paid for the same (same brand name and product line).  The fault lies in pricing personnel who do not know the products or the relative value of individual items; case in point, a "new" Guess purse will be priced the same as a "new" Ralph Lauren.  The personnel price a bit by guess and a list in the back room.  

Prices for like items also vary greatly from location to location.  At a Goodwill Store I may pay an average of $9.00 for a name brand shoe such as Madden or Simpson but at a store a mile or two away, I may have to pay $18.00 for the same condition and brand.  My friends and I know which stores are more pricey for certain items and shop accordingly.

One of the greatest dangers for me is to firmly keep my mind on the amount I am spending on garments.  Often there are too many garments that are "bargains" but really do not significantly add to my overall closet strategy.  I am trying to make sure that any garment I buy replaces something I have or is a planned addition to a capsule.  Most of my shopping is limited to searching for "trend" garments to replace last season's "trend" garments or an upgrade or addition to a core garment.  I am big on the concept of having all "core" garments of the highest quality and replacing "fashion trend" items.

One last thought on thrift stores; it is important to shop regularly at the shops.  I go once a week, usually on Monday nights because Tuesday is senior day here.  If you have many of them in your area it is important to know the policy or management style of each because there is a lot of variance between them as I mentioned earlier.  I actually have the good fortune to have nine in close proximity.  I only regularly shop the one because I have neither the time or desire to shop, shop, shop.  I find it takes almost an hour to really check out the merchandise properly.  Most treasures do take a bit of digging and I love beautiful clothing. There are too many good deals most of the time and it does require self discipline, although they are becoming more scarce as on-line thrifting is causing a scarcity of the treasures in the stores. It is also important to remember that most of the items are not what you want; you do have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the prince.  One also has to remember the merchandise is not pristine; many times it is really unwearable and not up to ones standards, but the treasures are most often there. 

I wish I could say I am there yet, but I am not. I still find from time to time I have surplus garments because I have bought too many treasures and bargains or I have changed the focus of my closet collection.  I am working on this aspect of wardrobe management. One of the reasons I have started the blogs is to serve as an on line journal of orderly wardrobe and role management. (The blogs keep me in line of "practicing what I preach".)

Consignment stores are a step up the ladder of thrift shopping. Merchandise is almost always designer or high end fashion store name brand items.  The stores usually "vet" the seller of goods and the merchandise must be well cared for and in good condition when submitted to the store.  You can purchase Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blhanik (sp) shoes, Prada purses, Hermes scarfs, etc., for a fraction of retail but much more than if you were able to find it in the thrift shops; FYI, many consignment shops and on-line sellers seek out designer items etc. in the thrift shops.  (I have observed this firsthand). 

Vintage items that are really works of couture art can be obtained at antique shops, usually at consignment prices rather than thrift shop, but are still wonderful buys for the imaginative stylinista. (I have seen Worth gowns). For an example, I urge my readers to view www.Stylecrone.com for an example of truly creative and glamorous use of vintage fashion.  I do love her site.

I hope I have given you information you can use to improve your own wardrobe.  Because I practice diligent thrift shopping, I am able to afford to remain a fashionista within the budget of a retiree in one of the most expensive living areas in the country. 

Good luck in your searches; I certainly plan to continue mine.  At this time I am on the search for just the right navy blue leather jacket, high vamp leather mid heel pumps, hunter green leather pumps in a mid or kitten heel, and  a leather purse in just the right shade of purple.

................Geneva................Rockmyages@aol.com







No comments:

Post a Comment