Monday, January 11, 2016

Mature Fashion: Replenishing the wardrobe

Thrift shopping day with wish list


More Happy New year........

Here is where knowledge of design principles and upcoming fashion trends can really save the stylinista a bundle of money.  When we know what trends, fashion styles, and fads are on the horizon, we can shop ahead of the curve and get the effects we want for a lot less money.  For instance, I have known for several weeks what trends and fashion designs would be appearing in the stores and the fashion magazines after Christmas. (this is why most of my style book inspiration is taken from runway shows which happen much earlier, not the fashion magazines which are showing what is in the stores).  

I already had an idea what looks I wanted to supplement my existing wardrobe (Remember, I already shopped my closet and made note of the re-imagined outfits I already had on hand). Me, my credit cards, and a little cash began to troll the local thrift shops.  I always go to the thrift store(s) as soon as I know what pieces I want to add to my closet. Because I will probably wear the trendy items on my list only a few times during the season, I do not want to spend very much money on them.  Should I re-imagine or re-interpret the garment, it would most likely extend only one or two seasons. (On "Rockmyrunwaay.blogspot.com" I showed my "Natty Nauticals" look with the pieces I found for a total of only $16.00).  

An example was anchors as a design element: I knew anchors would be a fashion item in fabrics, jewelry, and other accessories several months ago. (I posted some "heads up" on these items weeks ago).  Because I wanted to add  this element to the nautical trendy theme, I have been able to pick up a few pieces I wanted that I could not find at the thrift shops. Hopefully, I can find what I want at an attractive price point. When I cannot complete the looks I want from my closet or the thrift shops, I then proceed to my next step.

Me (I) my cards then check out the clearance section of trendy low end fashion stores to find any inexpensive items that would work with my better clothing to get the looks I wanted. (Ross, Marshalls, Target, Wal-Mart, and TJ Maxx are my favorite standbys).  I can usually find something in the $20.00 or less range to complete my looks. I won't pay much more than that for a garment I do not expect to wear more than the dollars I pay for it. (that is my budgeting criteria).

Should I be replacing a quality garment from my existing closet items, (i.e., a linen or wool neutral pair of pants that is too worn to keep) I would keep an eye out at the thrift stores to locate a treasure.  Very often I have been pleasantly surprised!  If I have not found it there, I will go to the consignment stores.  It is not unusual to find  a garment that cost in the 1K range at a consignment store for less than $300.00; sometimes as little as $50.00. 

If I cannot find what I need in the "gently used-pre-owned" shops, then I go to the higher priced fashion retail stores for my item. Depending upon what I am looking for, I may or may not wait for a sale.  If I need it in my wardrobe I do not want to lose out by waiting too long to purchase a needed item.  I am not afraid to pay several hundred dollars if necessary for the quality item.  At $1.00 per wearing, a pair of black wool pants might easily cost $200.00.  I would easily wear that garment at least 200 times before I would have to replace it, providing my weight didn't change significantly or it suffer an accident.  This logic almost always holds true for a good purse, belt, and classic pair of shoes (classic, not trendy). It always holds true for basic  14K+  gold and 925 silver  jewelry.  

Don't forget craft and fabric stores in your quest. One item I found was a gauzy neck scarf in navy blue with cream anchors purchased at Hobby Lobby for about $8.00; another was an overblouse  in a gauzy denim blue that I was able to find at a trendy shop for about $10.00.

Basically, those are the steps to keeping the Play of Life fashion wardrobe current. on a budget.  Obviously, this series of steps on acquiring garments assumes you already have a closet of clothing that you regularly curate.  The price point and amount a fashionista (stylinista) wants to invest in her garments is personal.  Future blogs will deal with how to acquire a new wardrobe for those who have drastic life changes, (weight loss, career change, etc.)  I began with the replenishing because most of us have only a few garments that need replenishing or re-imagining to keep fashionable.  In both cases, I will address other budget trimming ways to maintain a wardrobe. 

Most of us know this time of year is an excellent time to find those cashmere sweaters, great blazers, etc.  Thrift shops have significant donations for year end tax write-offs, store have end of season sales where we can find marked down merchandise cannot be found other times of year because of holiday purchases, etc.  (Have you ever tried to find a cashmere sweater at the end of February? a swimsuit in July?)

Happy shopping...............Geneva................Rockmyages@aol.com
  
 i

No comments:

Post a Comment