Thursday, March 17, 2016

Mature Fashion: St. Patrick's Costume

..And Top o' the morning, stylinistas.........


In celebration of St. Patrick's Day, I have succumbed to a little 'costuming'!! I know, I know, almost every stylist I have read discourages holiday themed attire as being 'frumpy' and screamingly 'matron'.  I am aware of this, but once again, I find I must disagree that a mature woman cannot be stylish if she chooses to have 'a wee bit o' fun' with her wardrobe.

Before I go further, let me say that I do agree that such attire can underscore a woman's unsophisticated appearance, but I think it is an example of the 'chicken/egg' paradox.  If a woman is generally dressed in 'frumpy' style,  then she will strengthen the perception. However, if she puts a bit of thought into her 'costume'. I believe she can project style as well as amusement; a little 'whimsy' can only add to her stylish appearance.  I wonder how many of you agree?

In any event, I am dressed today for that wee bit of fun. I will also be going out to a casual dinner tonight with a friend after performing a little project this afternoon..  The jeans and overshirt are in an olive grey tone.  The rugby style translucent under shirt is a medium dark Kelly green and cream stripe, all topped with a grass green/orange/cream infinity scarf. Somewhat hidden are greyish ballet slippers with a dull metallic finish.  The ensemble is finished with a slightly studded bracelet, metallic silver handbag, and a quilted olive green jacket in the same tone as the pants and shirt.  I chose the orange/kelly green scarf because I have Irish heritage on both sides of the Irish fence and for just a touch of "pop". Additional Kelly green or orange would be a bit too 'costumy' for my personal taste.  I also believe the unexpected olive green is a more sophisticated combination and more suited to my age and body type than the louder green or orange.  

Today, my role is mostly social with a necessity for practical clothing that can stand up to a bit of wear and tear.  I hope you are having fun with the costume for your role on this St. Patrick's 2016, whether it be for a party, celebration with grand children, or just a corned beef and cabbage dinner at home!!

......................Genev.........................Rockmyages@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment